Reply To: svn-1400, flac and NSLU: Performance problems?

wolfzell
Participant

@rpedde wrote:

You are looking for a one-time solution to copy files that’s faster than over-the-network, right? I could agree that you probably wouldn’t want to run an enterprise datacenter with the ext2 drivers around, but they are certainly good enough for a one-shot copy.

One-time… hmm… no, it will happen more often, since I have my main library on my system here and I am always changing little things, so I copy all data to the external drive about every two months. And I am using the drive for storing other data too…

But even if it would be one-time, some of the problems the drivers have, are problems with the character sets. I already have problems with the filenames now, I guess I don’t want another translation step in the progress messing around with the filenames.

Failing that, you could always boot with knoppix cd or something similar with captive ntfs and native ext3.

Installing a complete OS on the PC just to be able to copy files and in the end run some music? Errm…

In the end, though, you might be right. 350G of music on a device with 32m of ram probably isn’t a long-term winner. Particularly while doing stuff as cpu intensive as transcoding on a machine with no FPU.

You are right. For the moment I will keep things running as they are, next time I will have some spare money, I will setup a server/media pc. That will solve several problems at once.

Most likely it will run Firefly nonetheless. 🙂

Thanx for your help and for Firefly.

bye
Wolfgang