Reply To: Recovering from failed HDD…

rpedde
Participant

@Dave.B wrote:

I thought I would ask here as the NSLU2-Linux Wiki doesn’t seem like a friendly place to ask:

I’ve just received my external HDD back from the manufacturers after it failed a week ago. Luckily they repaired it (under warranty) instead of replacing it so I just plugged it back in, started the slug and everything went back to normal. But I have little confidence in this disk now (especially as I can’t set it to spin down), so I know this is going to happen again.

However, it got me thinking – how would I have recovered fom this if they had sent me a new disk? The music isn’t a problem as it’s backed up on DVDs, but I’m thinking about unslinging an already unslung slug to a new disk.
Has anyone done this? Is it difficult? I’ve searched and only found snippets of high-level Linux techno jargon. Surely somebody must have had to re-unsling?

Any help or advice (for me or for anyone searching) will be appreciated.
Thanks

unslung is set up to work as “slung” if the unslung drive isn’t plugged in. In that case, I believe that when you plug in a blank drive, you’ll be basically at the position you were at when you had upgraded the firmware but haven’t done the unslinging.

It should be simply a matter of partitioning and formatting the drive through the web interface and then unslinging as per the unslung README.

That’s the theory anyway. 🙂 Haven’t tried it in practice.

— Ron