Reply To: Failed to start Firefly Media Server

rpassavant

I too am having the “Failed to start Firefly Media Server” error.

I have the issue with the production version and with the “1.0 svn-1376” version.

I am running Windows XP Pro / SP2 and as far as I know I am completely up to date. I have Zone Alarm as my personal firewall and avast! AntiVirus; the Windows firewall is turned off. When I disable ZA and AV I still get the error.

My music library is currently in:

“C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersDocumentsMy Music”

Based on the previous suggestion I tried it in:

“D:XXXXX’s DocumentsMy Music” – XXXXX = my username

With no change

I checked the event viewer and each time I try to start the service I get the same two sequential errors:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7009
Date: 10/7/2006
Time: 11:29:23 AM
User: N/A
Computer: ZEUS
Description:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Firefly Media Server service to connect.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

followed immediately by:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 10/7/2006
Time: 11:29:23 AM
User: N/A
Computer: ZEUS
Description:
The Firefly Media Server service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I do have software on the machine that also uses the Bonjour service: iTunes and Gizmo Project VoIP/IM client. Currently iTunes is at 7.0.1, and the Roku can see it, but not see any music – which I know shouldn’t work, but it tells me that Bonjour is working.

Any help is greatly appreciated, my Roku is currently a brick in the entertainment center and I would like to get Firefly working so that I can get access to all my music.