Reply To: Web interface & Firefox

CCRDude
Participant

I even read somewhere that under Linux de_DE.UTF8 is absolutely identical to en_GB.UTF8 (should be anyway, but imho there are some differences in UTF-8 implementations because of different versions of the UTF-8 standard).

The codepage of german depends on the base you; in ISO, german usually is ISO-8859-1 or ISO-8859-15 (the later including the Euro currency sign). IBM codepages 850 and 437, as english. Windows codepage is Windows-1252, identical as well, and Mac uses MacRoman for both languages, too. So the only difference to english would be ISO-8859-1 to ISO-8859-15 (english uses only the first, while german at some point started to switch to the later) – shouldn’t matter though since the euro sign is probably not involved here 😀

But: now that you mention it, the Debian image for the Kurobox seems to have been made by someone from Japan (no wonder, the Kurobox itself can only be imported from there, displays Japanese characters on the box and the shipped manual is Japanese only). It even uses some Japanese apt sources, and while the shell was in english after installation, who knows? I’m still struggling to find out where exactly I can find the charset used by ssh, shells, NFS, Samba, etc. exactly 😉