Reply To: MAC OS X & b3: run at system boot

rpedde
Participant

@doppler wrote:

Using the latest beta (b3, with the new all-contained preferences pane), is it possible to have the firefly server run at system boot time (i.e., all the time) instead of at user login?

Should I tinker with the StartupItems folder? (if so, sample code would be highly appreciated)

Probably could. The keys would probably include installing it for “all users” rather than your particular user, and setting it to be manually started, rather than automatically started.

Once you have that, you’ll need to be able to manually start the thing. Something like:

/Library/PreferencePanes/Firefly.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Firefly Helper.app/Contents/Resources/Server/firefly -a -c firefly.conf

is probably pretty close to what you’d need to actually run it.

Once you have that, you need to make a startup script thingie for it. There are some pre-packaged ones here, but I haven’t tried them.

Probably they would have to be modified to use the command line above, as they are meant to be used with a hand-compiled version from fink.

Sorry I don’t have a straight answer on this. Perhaps I will in the next couple days, though — I have an xserve at work I need to set up with it, so I’ll probably be going through the same thing myself.

If you get anything based on the stuff here, I’d appreciate any corrections or tips, as I’ll be wanting them, too. 🙂

— Ron