Reply To: Remotely tagging songs

jjh
Participant

That’s interesting to hear, thank you for your feedback!

@kenzo
: Is your setup as follows: Many clients can listen via firefly, while only one can listen and edit by directly opening the library (because of iTunes’ library-locking behaviour)?

@Iris
: I went to check out mediamonkey, looks interesting to me, sad to see it is a win-only solution (we have macintosh computers at home)

While thinking the discussion over, it came to me that there are (at least) two different usage scenarios – one does not need the remote editing thing, the other one does:

1.) One PC for Listening&Importing&Editing and many Listen-only clients
Server: This would be one computer in the home network where all music is stored – this computer would be used for importing new music into the library and for tag editing e.g. by directly opening the music library in iTunes. Clients: All other clients connect via firefly, but they are only used like a RokuSoundbridge kind of thing: Great for listening, but no importing/tagediting etc. In this scenario, there is no need for firefly to support tag editing.

2.) One storage place and many computers to Listen&Import&Edit songs
Server: This could be a NAS device running firefly to serve a music library for concurrent read/write access to a bunch of PCs/laptops. The NAS does not offer any user interface to import&edit music. Clients: Rather, importing&editing has to be done using the clients. In this scenario, it is crucial for firefly to support importing and editing of information.

I hope I could crystallize two different scenarios of using firefly. When I became interested in firefly, I had scenario2 in mind. Has firefly been built with rather scenario1 in mind?

My refined question to those of you already using firefly is:
What is your usage scenario, what is your setup? Can you identify with scenario1 or 2?