Reply To: Feedback on 1236

mbaker
Participant

2. iTunes tmp files

If you set “supports update” to “no” in the config page, does it still happen?

I can’t find a “supports update” in the config file or in either UI. Do you mean “Always Scan”? If you turn that off then it still happens.

I watched it a little yesterday (as it generated 300 TMP files) and it’s definitely Firefly causing the problem because if I stop the server the temp files stop too.

It appears that this version of iTunes creates xml temp files (when the library’s being updated) and then renames them once they’re complete. While ripping CDs I’m seeing the XML file timestamp update every minute or two (and the temp files are generated every minute or two).

The fact that it’s taking so long to rescan won’t be helping matters.

4. not picking up iTunes content regularly

Don’t know if that’s an iTunes thing or a me thing. I’ll try and replicate it. This is ticket #171.

This could be a symptom of the same problem. If the refresh is taking an hour to complete (according to the log) then that would explain why it’s not picking up the changes.

8. error adding iTunes playlist

That comes from duplicate playlists. If there is a backup copy of the iTunes xml file or something, then it tries to add another playlist with the same name — the second try at adding it fails.

Arguably, there could be multiple playlists with the same name, but I just haven’t allowed it. I’m not sure why. Confusion, maybe?

There aren’t multiple playlists in the XML file but if it was picking up some of the content from the TMP files, that could cause the problem. Perhaps the same TMP issue again?

9. memory leak

Aaaaah… that makes me think it’s in the itunes xml parsing. Great. No wonder I couldn’t find it on valgrind – my linux box with valgrind doesn’t have (duh) iTunes, so I’m not grinding against a real xml file. I’ll run this to ground. Ticket #173.

I came home today to find the server running at about 200M when I hadn’t seen it like that for days. I also found a lot of “unknown meta” items in the log (1212 of them). I hadn’t seen any memory problems or meta messages for days? A coincidence?

10. missing files

You can turn logging up to 5, then watch the logs on scan. You should get some sense of it there.

Otherwise, you can dump the database with something like

sqlite pathtosongs.db “.dump songs”

I’ve got the logging on at level 5 but it only gives me the final filename, not the full path which makes it harder to match. I’ll probably turn on debug 9 and then rebuild and see what’s being missed and why.

Cheers,
Mark