Reply To: WMA (not) transcoding on NSLU2 to iTunes?

rpedde
Participant

@Ted Harper wrote:

I just installed svn-1236 on an NSLU2 and everything seems to be working well *except* when I attempt to play a WMA file to iTunes (on a Mac). Playing everything to the SoundBridge is working fine (mp3, wma), and playing mp3 to the Mac iTunes is fine too, only when I attempt to play a wma file to iTunes.

The same files *do* play correctly (svn-1236 to Mac iTunes) running the Windows build of svn-1236, just something doesn’t seem to be right with it on the NSLU2 – I don’t know whether it is my configuration being wrong, or if it is some general wrongness.

Here is what is logged (with -d2) when I attempt to play a wma file from the NSLU2 to the iTunes client:

2006-06-19 08:48:20: Session 0: Streaming file '01-Westway.wma' to 192.168.0.140 (offset 0)
2006-06-19 08:48:57: Session 0: Streaming file '01-Westway.wma' to 192.168.0.140 (offset 0)
2006-06-19 08:49:21: Thread 1609: could not read: No such file or directory

ted.h.

iTunes doesn’t play wma. It has to be transcoded. The windows build has two transcoders for wma — the ssc-wma transcoder that uses the Windows Media framework, and the ssc-ffmpeg transcoder that uses ffmpeg. Either of those can transcode wma to wav for iTunes.

On the slug, though, the package I distribute doesn’t have either of those. It uses script-based transcoding, and I haven’t set up the script to do wma. mostly because until the roku stuff, nobody around here every wanted to use wma. 🙂 It was all flac and ogg.

It looks like there is a ffmpeg binary for the slug, so I guess I could put one together and see if I can get it working. Understand it won’t ever work for wma lossless or wma pro, or wma voice — those codecs are lock to a windows platform until someone reverses them.

— Ron