Reply To: Java iTunes client and transcoding

rpedde
Participant

@Ted Harper wrote:

Anyway, it _almost_ works with Firefly (svn-1206). That is, it works perfectly for MP3 files, but fails for my WMA files – it looks to be delivering them as-is to GetItTogether rather than transcoding to WAV as it does to an iTunes client.

Strange. Right now the logic is based on the user-agent that gets handed to the server. Generally, it looks like this:

iTunes* – don’t transcode mpeg, mp4a, wav, mp4v or alac
Roku* – don’t transcode mpeg,mp4a, or wav
otherwise – don’t transcode mpeg or wav

So it shouldn’t be transcoding. Maybe it doesn’t play .wav files?

BTW I can't get the "experimental applet" in Firefly to work here at all (with either IE or Firefox, latest Java runtime is installed and working) - it paints its window ok, but then I get a DAAP failure when it tries to get itself going with the Firefly server. I guess I wouldn't be so interested in GetItTogether if that experimental applet was working for me, but for Spouse Compatibility it would still be good to have an application (rather than an applet) that could play from the Firefly library.

Yeah, I really can’t either, or it varies based on jvm. I had hoped that someone would pick up that applet (I didn’t write it) and work on it, but hasn’t happened. I guess there isn’t a critical mass of interest in it. It’s actually been axed in svn.

wrt GiT, I’ll download it and see if I can figure why it’s so strange.

— Ron