Reply To: UTF-8 console editor

CCRDude
Participant

@rpedde: well, I guess you would need a german keyboard for umlauts (or any other foreign keyboard for other non standard keys) :laugh: . They’ve got their own keys on those. And they work with bash and sh, for example, but not inside vi/vim, nano, emacs (tested pico by now as well)…

@Anders: good idea, but the point is that emacs crashes (simply hangs) when I enter any umlaut (contrary to the others which will simply paste a bunch of invalid characters). so I won’t even get to the point where I create any changes to save ๐Ÿ˜‰

I played around some more though. If I save UTF-8 with one of the graphical editors, vim and nano show the file correctly. They simply do not allow entering new umlauts (even though the ssh shell is using utf-8 and it works on the shells I tried). So I guess as a workaround I can once type in all special characters I need, then copy’n’paste them to the correct place. Isn’t perfect, but I guess will do until we get a mt-daapd version with web interface playlist editing ๐Ÿ˜‰

PS: Guess I should register my name here, as much as I write ๐Ÿ˜‰