Reply To: General useage and auto update database

Anonymous
Inactive

@fizze wrote:

There is fireplay which is a web (flash) client, and then there is fireflyclient, which is a java client for firefly.
There are a few others meanwhile, they all work rather well.

You could consolidate your shares into one music library with firefly, so that all remote clients would access only that one. No more need to sync 😉

Well I’m looking for a web client that I can install on the server to do remote streaming of the music. I was under the impression that fireflyclient was the only one that could do that.

I’m not following on the second part. All of the music is in a central place now. It is all on the WHS server. Is this what you mean?

I guess the problem I have is Itunes is not smart enough to detect changes. If I add a song through Itunes it will autmatically add the song to that machines database. However, If i add it in the background, It doesn’t always pick it up. This is especially true with larger music collections, I have to rescan.

For example, computer 1 rips a CD via iTunes and it gets stored on the WHS sever (all music is on the server). It is now in computer 1’s library because iTunes for computer 1 did it and will add it. Computer 2 and 3 will not know that this music has been added to their own iTunes until I rescan the library on each machine.

So, what does firefly do differently that would make me avoid syncing or rescanning? Does it make itunes rescan each time the program starts? Realtime?