Reply To: iTunes server compatibility with Apple iPhone ‘Remote’ app

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Feature Requests iTunes server compatibility with Apple iPhone ‘Remote’ app Reply To: iTunes server compatibility with Apple iPhone ‘Remote’ app

Anonymous
Inactive

Although I’m new to the forums, I’ve been using mt-daapd for years now, and the feature set has seemed to change from duplicating what iTunes did at the time, to transcoding unsupported files and creating a web-based management interface, to talk now of integrating a flash-based player into the web interface to allow you to listen to your music anywhere.

This feature request is moving in another direction — with local playback.

After perusing through the apparent handshaking that’s taking place with dacp, I initially thought a LAMP server with syscalls to mplayer could totally handle what you need. The trick would be building and managing the library — the actual controls are pretty trivial.

But, you know, after realizing that, I’m looking at mt-daapd, with a nice, organized way of making calls to the library. Adding the ctrl-int stuff would only be a matter of implementing extra functions. Although mt-daapd wasn’t conceived or ever designed to do local playback, it really wouldn’t be as hard as you think.

Granted, it would be a lot easier to implement *dacp-like* controls initially. And maybe use some PHP scripts to control it through a Web-based interface.

And last I checked, iPhones have no problems browsing Web sites.

And a web-based interface would allow all of us kids without iPhones to get motivated enough to support the protocol (so we could use it, too)

I could picture tossing the server in the living room hooked up to the stereo, and using a WiFi-enabled PDA or a tablet PC or something to control it.

However, I have to say, although this wouldn’t be difficult to do, there *are* other projects out there that are doing, basically, what you’re requesting — to control your computer’s playback.

I haven’t used Ampache for a while, but last I knew, it had a local-playback option, using (at the time) mpeg123.

http://ampache.org/

Of course, this isn’t really what you want — you want to control your library using your iPhone’s nifty program to do such. You may have to settle on a web-based control until the protocol matures enough for there to be other (non-iPhone) clients that can use it.