Reply To: firefly showing my itunes library

Anonymous
Inactive

when i click on it, it loads up fine but its showing me the files i’ve already got in my itunes library.

well, that’s the point. It’s serving your music collection as per what’s in your music library. Put it this way: itunes plays your music via PC speakers/airtunes or whatever, and in principle, so does firefly though it’s more often than not linked to another storage device where the files are kept and it’s used in conjunction with a hardware device like the Soundbridge M1000/M1001. So, you’re going to see those files replicated in the Firefly shared libraries list in iTunes. The thing about firefly is that it can also serve up formats that iTunes can’t – like FLAC, OGG and so on. Also, it’s (arguably) quicker in serving said files.

Also if you’re using a Sondbridge M1001 and are non-North America based you probably have a Pinnacle branded unit which due to license restrictions can’t stream the music through iTunes. firefly (and other software such as twonky) get around this via geekery that most of us don’t need to know about. (If you do, then hit the search button at the top of this page 😆 )

in short (or long), firefly is doing what it should do. relax!

What’s cool about firefly is the ability to serve file formats that itunes can’t (as per above) and it’s killer feature for many, is the ability to install it on NAS devices so that you can take the computer out of the equation and run your library from a low-power drawing devices like the NLSU2 or WD MyBook or Linkstation etc etc. whilst having your computer TURNED OFF. 😯

make sense?