Reply To: Someone knows about –apply-replaygain-which-is-not-lossless

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Someone knows about –apply-replaygain-which-is-not-lossless Reply To: Someone knows about –apply-replaygain-which-is-not-lossless

Anonymous
Inactive

I am going into details now, Ron

Do you know about the format of FLAC replaygain-specifications which are supported by firefly SVN-1696 installed on a Synology-NAS?

As per Hydrogenaudio-Forum, the default value – if no spefications are given – is 0aLn1.

I found out that only the preamp-option is supported by my configuration, if I enter the following in the transcoding file:

–apply-replaygain-which-is-not-lossless=6
With that, all replaygained songs are 6dB louder on my Soundbridge. Perfect so far, but I would like to change L to l and noise shaping.

But as soon as I enter more values, replaygain is not supported any more, e.g. as following:
–apply-replaygain-which-is-not-lossless=6aln3

Is there something wrong with the format or the syntax, are the brackets important in a way? Or is it just not supported by firefly?

Or are you saying that changing the limiter and noise shaping values does not improve sound quality? I really think that replaygained songs are at a significant lower quality… well, it is said that it is not lossless…but maybe this is the “placebo” effect and I can hear the “grass growing” as we say in German…

Thanks for having a look into this.
huckele

****** extracts from Hydrogenaudio Forum *****

–apply-replaygain-which-is-not-lossless[=]
Applies ReplayGain values while decoding.

WARNING: THIS IS NOT LOSSLESS. DECODED AUDIO WILL NOT BE IDENTICAL TO THE ORIGINAL WITH THIS OPTION.

The equals sign and is optional. If omitted, the default is 0aLn1 (see below).

The is a shorthand notation for describing how to apply ReplayGain. All components are optional but order is important. ‘[]’ means ‘optional’. ‘|’ means ‘or’. ‘{}’ means required. The format is:

[][a|t][l|L][n{0|1|2|3}]

A floating point number in dB. This is added to the existing gain value.

a|t
Specify ‘a’ to use the album gain, or ‘t’ to use the track gain

l|L
Specify ‘l’ to peak-limit the output, so that the ReplayGain peak value is full-scale. Specify ‘L’ to use a 6dB hard limiter that kicks in when the signal approaches full-scale.

n{0|1|2|3}
Specify the amount of noise shaping. ReplayGain synthesis happens in floating point; the result is dithered before converting back to integer. This quantization adds noise. Noise shaping tries to move the noise where you won’t hear it as much. 0 means no noise shaping, 1 means ‘low’, 2 means ‘medium’, 3 means ‘high’.

For example, the default of 0aLn1 means 0dB preamp, use album gain, 6dB hard limit, low noise shaping.

–apply-replaygain-which-is-not-lossless=3 means 3dB preamp, use album gain, no limiting, no noise shaping.

flac uses the ReplayGain tags for the calculation. If a stream does not have the required tags or they can’t be parsed, decoding will continue with a warning, and no ReplayGain is applied to that stream.