So, I have 2 primary files I’ve been using to test, 1 of them is natively .m4v and 1 is .mov. I mention native, because I tried renaming them to .mp4 in attempts to get it to work… but no dice.
All of the files work perfectly from iTunes. In both cases, I was not the one who encoded them, so I’m not sure how they were encoded. And as far as fast-start, I’m pretty sure they are. One of the .m4v is actually a sample from the Darwin Streaming Server, while the other is a .mov clip I found online.
Both of these clips work ok on DSS and it’s my understanding they have to fast-start to work with that system.
If I’ve missed anything let me know.