Reply To: Apple permissions and Firefly meta data/Smart Playlists.

rpedde
Participant

@dovad wrote:

I’ve been having issues with having my meta data (Ratings) and Smart Playlists (the ones created in iTunes) display from my Firefly server. My Firefly server is version “svn-1586” running on a Power PC Linkstation under FreeLink 1.1. I’ve got the 2.6 kernel installed as well. My Library is compiled and maintained on an Apple iMac G4 running Leopard. I sync the iTunes library with Chronosync.

First Chronosync was giving the error: “The operation failed because the user does not have the correct access to the file or folder” for the files”:

/Volumes/shared-1/iTunes Library
/Volumes/shared-1/iTunes Music Library.xml

This directory “shared-1” does not show in the finder but if I log on with the Terminal as root I can see it. Does anyone understand what this “shared-1” directory is all about? In the Finder I am using the standard “Music” folder which does not show as this “shared-1” directory. After using sftp to copy the above 2 files to the Linkstation I can now see my meta data as well as my Smart Playlists. I also changed the permission of these 2 files to 777 in frustration. I’ve since run Chronosync and it errors with the same error except the 2 files mentioned earlier now have a “0” in front of them i.e.:

“The operation failed because the user does not have the correct access to the file or folder” for the files”:

/Volumes/shared-1/0iTunes Library
/Volumes/shared-1/0iTunes Music Library.xml
and now a new file:
/Volumes/shared-1/0.DS_Store

Does anyone know what the same file name with this “0” in front is all about?

Thanks…
Dave

Not sure. Is it possible this is a chronosync bug?

Is it possible to use rsync? I use something like this:

rsync -av --delete -e ssh "/Users/ron/Music/iTunes/" ron@linksys-server:/share/hdd/data/music/iTunes

And then kick it off periodically with Lingon.

Works For Me. ™