Reply To: Leopard Firewall denies connections to Firefly

rpedde
Participant

@Niklaus wrote:

I use Firefly (svn 1586) on the Mac OS X Leopard to serve my iTunes Library. I use launchd to start firefly at boot of the system without a user loged in. This worked fine until the new firewall of Leopard came:
If I start firefly manually from my login I get asked by the system whether I want to allow firefly to receive connections from the outside. However, when firefly is started by launchd during system startup, it does start correctly, but it does not get this permission and neither my roku nor another mac can connect.
Now, firefly is in the list of applications that are allowed to receive connections. (System Preferences > Security>Firewall > Specific applications) But this permission seems not be persistent. After a system reboot I have to grant it again. This makes of course my launchd configuration useless.
I read that the new firewall signs applications that are allowed to receive connections but somehow firefly seems to loose that signature on reboot.
Any ideas?

Yeah, I read that too. Firefly doesn’t do checksums of itself on boot or anything like that, so the only thing I can guess is that it isn’t actually getting signed. I don’t really have an answer for that, except that perhaps it’s a bug in leopard.