Reply To: Cant find mp3s in Mythbuntu :-(

rpedde
Participant

@rflook wrote:

Good news, sort of. It would seem that the problem is down to the fact that i have my tunes on a usb harddrive to which i created a symbolic link in the /var/lib/mythtv/music folder.

So to test i copied a folder of mp3s into the /var/lib/mythtv/music folder and using chmod set the permissions to 777. This then allowed the server to pick up the music. However i dont really want to move my music off of my external hd, so can any make a suggestion as to what to do?

The user that the server runs as doesn’t have permissions to read the music files. Best bet would be to make those world readable.

If the files are on a fat32 drive on ubuntu, I don’t believe there is a way from the gui to set the umask for pmount, so that’s tough to do without adding a fstab entry, and that won’t work well for hotplugging. Unless you don’t normally disconnect the drive, in which case an fstab entry would be the best answer.

The only other thing I can think that might work (depending on the uid/gid that ubuntu uses for automounting fat32 drives) would be to change the “runas” user in /etc/mt-daapd.conf to be the user you log in as when you connect the usb drive.

If that doesn’t work, I could probably come up with a solution given the following info:

1. What fs is the drive formatted as?
2. Do you normally leave the drive connected?
3. What device does it come up as? (/dev/sda1, etc)

— Ron