Reply To: Empty iTunes playlists

rpedde
Participant

@ann_onemouse2 wrote:

Hello, all.

I am having trouble getting the contents of my playlists from “iTunes Music Library.xml” to appear. The playlists themselves show up in remote iTunes clients, but with no tracks visible. Strangely, the playlists *do* appear correct in mt-daapd’s administrative web interface — at least, they show the correct number of tracks listed under “Count”.

I am running mt-daapd on an i686-based Fedora 6 system. My mt-daapd was built from the latest (as of this writing) SVN trunk, which is revision 1709. Here is my usage case in a nutshell:

I maintain my music library on a Mac desktop, using the latest iTunes software (currently 7.5.19). I use rsync to push my library to to the Fedora system that runs mt-daapd. When I start mt-daapd, and connect to it with iTunes (from the Mac), no playlists initially appear, but all of the tracks *do* appear (in fact, each appears twice, for some reason). At this stage, I can stream any track just fine, but I have no playlists.

If I force a scan using the mt-daapd administrative web interface, I see messages in the log file like “Adding item 270 to playlist 22”, and “New playlist size: 313”, which is encouraging. Indeed, when the scan is done, the admin interface then shows all my “Smart Playlists”, with the correct number of tracks listed under “Count”.

I then need to force a disconnect, and reconnect from the iTunes client in order to make the playlists appear. But when I do so, all the tracks themselves are gone, and I see nothing but empty playlists! When reconnecting, I see log messages like “Ending playlist enumeration”, but again, no tracks in iTunes.

So the odd thing is that it looks like individual tracks are being found before the scan, and playlists after the scan, but at no point are both available! 🙁

Now, the path to the library on the Mac is not the same as the path on the Fedora server, so I tried the following.
The command:
grep ‘file://’ “iTunes Music Library.xml”
shows that the XML library contains references to “file://localhost/data/music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/…”, so I made a symlink on the Fedora system which points from “/data/music/iTunes/iTunes Music” to the correct location on the server, so that the URI resolves correctly on the Fedora server’s command-line. Sadly, this bit of chicanery seemed to make no difference whatever. 😕

What could cause the iTunes playlists look correct in the mt-daapd web interface, but show up with no tracks in iTunes?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
– Ann

I think I’d have to see your db and the xml file to figure it out. My best guess is that the case of the filenames in the iTunes xml is different than the case on the file system. On osx, it doens’t matter, as the file systme is case insensitive, but on ubuntu, of course, it does.

You could email me your db and xml file, and I could see if that’s indeed the case.

— Ron