Reply To: A standalone Java client: FireflyClient

Anonymous
Inactive

Hello everybody,

I’ve been away for almost a month now, but I’m back. I’ll try to anwser to your questions in this post.

New features requests
@mpuckett wrote:

Is it possible yet to create a smart playlist from FireFlyClient?

No it is not. You have to create smart playlists with the playlist.html page of Firefly Media Server admin pages. I don’t plan to implement a smart playlist editor for the time being. Anyway, I saw in the following topic : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10097 someone who tried to improve the playlist.html page. I didn’t tested it because I don’t use smart playlists a lot but it might be worth looking!
@Statto2 wrote:

Would it be possible to show a 4th panel – composer

It would be but I can’t say when. I can’t say if it is massively requested.
To avoid overloading this forum, you can post a feature request to http://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=browse&group_id=212642&atid=1022556 and see if it is supported or not.
@Statto2 wrote:

A 5th panel option for ‘year’ would also be useful (tree with decades and years)

Same remark as previous.
@rregent wrote:

I have one minor request. Would it be possible for Artists whose names are preceded by “The” to be sorted by the latter part of the name? The SoundBridge handles this well. For example, ‘The Beatles’ becomes ‘Beatles, The’ .

I’ll try to have a look at it. It should not be too difficult to implement although I should look into a configurable list of “ignorable” prefixes (like The, A, …) to manage different languages.
@spring wrote:

I was wondering if I could please request a couple of features:
1) Ability to repeat (one, all) like in iTunes.
2) Remember the currently selected genre, artist and album in the main library when clicking on a playlist. This is so that when you return to the library, you can resume from where you left off.

1) It should not be too difficult and I’ll try to add it in the next release. I didn’t do it in the past as I thought that nobody used this functionnality !
2) I’ll try to have a look at it. I don’t really use playlist so I never noticed this behaviour which must be very irritating !

Mobile version of the client
@b@rtm@n wrote:

Hi,

Fireflyclient.jar is just what i’m looking for, and i can use it on my laptop … But finally, i want to use it on my Htc Touch HD (windows mobile 6.1 smartphone) … I can install it, using the built-in java, but when trying to run it, it complains about several things … (at first i couln’t install either, but after adding the following lines in the Manifest.mf file, i can go further) :
MIDlet-Name: FireflyClient
MIDlet-Version: 1.5
MIDlet-Vendor: Vendor
MIDlet-1: Fireflyclient,,net.firefly.client.gui.swing.FireflyClient

After installing it, it says “MIDLet was successfully installed! Do you want to launch the MIDlet ?” Then it gives the following error “The MIDlet could not be instantiated : java.lang.ClassCastException”. Can someone help me getting this to work on a windows mobile os ?
(…)
Someone to help porting this wonderfull fireflyclient to windows mobile ? If this works, it will be the best application ever … Who doesn’t want to have a portable mediaplayer connected to 1000+ of songs, and playing just what you want …
Caribou, any idea ?
(…)
BUMP BUMP BUMP …
Caribou, can you please help me making this nice applet working on windows mobile ? Couldn’t find your contact details … I’m desperately trying to find info on the errors that I get, but can’t solve … help me out …

Well b@rtm@n, this is a great question !!! But Firefly Client has not been designed to be run on mobile phones. Indeed, java application that run on mobile use a little subset of java SDK called Java ME (Java Micro Edition). So it is normal that you are not able to run it “as is” on Windows Mobile.
Anyway, if you want be to give a look at your error it might be worth though i don’t think it should be possible to solve theses errors. You can contact me at vcariven (at ] users.sourceforge.net
However, I find your request particularly interresting.
I’m not very aware of different phones possibilities and anyway, I don’t think that the current Firefly Client user interface would be very suitable for a mobile phone screen (much smaller size than a computer screen).
So, I’ll try to look deeper in the mobile application development with java for mobile phones and I might try to implement a dedicated interface for mobile phones using the existing Firefly Client core classes to communicate with the server and cache library.

Here it is. I hope this will answer your questions and do not hesitate to post on this forum. For features request it might be worth double-posting to the feature request tracker on sourceforge : http://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=browse&group_id=212642&atid=1022556

–caribou