Reply To: raop play addon for firefly

rpedde
Participant

@ak. wrote:

Hi,

I would find it very cool if it would be able to extend Firefly to be able to to stream to Apple Airport stations. A section in the userinterface where you can select the Airport discovered using mDNSClient and then stream it using raop_play with an option to pause, rewind in playlists….

http://raop-play.sourceforge.net/

Regards,

ak.

A daap client with a raop_play backend? But then you’ll want full playlist management on the server side, including queueing and client management.

It sounds like what you *really* want is slimserver. That’s a server-based playlist manager with dumb clients, rather then the obverse, which is what firefly/iTunes is. Firefly isn’t really suited to that sort of thing, as it doesn’t suit it’s model well.

To do it right, you’d have a daap client with a web interface from which to manage play orders and stuff. But that would be a lot of work, and would essentially just be re-writing slimserver to use daap as a file system rather than the local file system. Which doesn’t make sense if you can just run slimserver.

Not sure if that makes sense, but were I to spend an afternoon hacking to achieve this, I’d certainly start with slimserver as a basis.