Reply To: Firefly on Vista to Mac iTunes

rpedde
Participant

@rix wrote:

I installed Bonjour then Firefly 1696 on a Windows Vista Ultimate box, to serve MP3 files to my Mac’s iTunes through my network. When manually connecting to the Firefly server running on 10.0.0.2:3689, it indicates Bonjour is running. On another Windows box, I then installed Bonjour for Windows, and it properly displays my Bonjour Firefly server in IE’s Bonjour pane. However, on the Mac, iTunes cannot find the shared library. I installed Bonjour Browser to try to diagnostic the issue, and it also didn’t display anything ! So it seems this is the Mac which is deliberately ignoring the Bonjour announces, but I cannot understand why… Is there something else to enable on the Mac or in iTunes to allow it to use Bonjour ? (I already enabled the option to list shared libraries in iTunes, without any success)

UPDATE:
I installed iTunes on the second Windows box on the network and it properly detects and uses the Firefly library share ! So it is really the Mac machine which has a problem to use Bonjour… Quite strange, Bonjour being developped by Apple which is presenting it as the most easy to use discovery protocol … 🙁

do you have itunes on the mac set up to search for shared music (somewhere in prefs), and have you checked your firewall?