Reply To: List of DAAP/Firefly clients

magnate
Participant

@mas wrote:

Winamp DAAP Client plugin = http://sourceforge.net/projects/mldaap

I also tried this a while ago. It is not really local only – one can use RendezvousProxy to have it access remote shares.

BUT, and its a big but, the thing does appear to be quite buggy and and in pre-alpha state.

It doesnt support passworded DAAP servers, it has bugs when the DAAP share changes after it read it and so on. Plus the version is from 2006. No development since then doesnt sound very active…

Would be nice if this plugin was as actively developed as fireflash. But as it is its not very recommendable yet.

On the contrary, I can highly recommend it. In keeping with WinAmp’s design philosophy, it’s small, does exactly what it sets out to do, and no more. It’s worked fine for me for a year or so now – obviously it might not work for everyone, but it certainly does work on a normal WinXP / WinAmp installation.

There is also an mDNS dll which means you don’t actually need Bonjour installed.

Of the others I use an SB (fine) and Rhythmbox (better – it does crossfading). I used to use Amarok but it cuts out about 10 seconds before the end of every track, which is really irritating. I assume it doesn’t do that to everybody, but it always did to me.

Cheers,

CC