Reply To: FirePlay Flash client for FireFly

Anonymous
Inactive

I just ran across (and tried out) Fireplay 0.86 today — this is a great app, and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks very much Bo for making this available.

Of course, I liked it so much that I immediately started poking at it, and have a few questions now on finer usage details. If there’s a ‘how to use’ page out there, please point me to it.

My setup: Firefly svn-1586 running on a Ubuntu 7.04 box. The entire setup is less than a month old, but I do have a couple of Roku’s using the Firefly with no problems. I’m using Fireplay v0.86 from a Windows XP box using Firefox 2.0.0.13 & Adobe Flash Player 9.

I had no problems getting Fireplay up and running — copied over the three files as directed and it came up perfectly on Firefox, first try. If I access “Library” in the Source box, then pick an artist and/or album, the box at the bottom populates nicely with songs and double-clicking one starts them playing. Perfect, and exactly like the Roku Soundbridge behavior. The album art display is a particularly nice touch . . . .

My main question (so far) is about static playlists — if I select one of them from the Source box, the genre/artist/album boxes all populate correctly showing how many, etc., of each category are in that particular playlist, but the box at the bottom (with song list) stays blank until something in either the artist or album box is selected, at which point the songlist box at the bottom populates with the entire playlist (of all artists and all albums) in alphabetical order by album, then track# (not the order in the original playlist).

By comparison, if I use http://myserver:3689/playlists.html, selection of a playlist causes the box at the bottom to be populated with the songlist in original, unsorted order. (I recognize the playlists.html is part of Firefly, not Fireplay . . . but thought the two would be similar.)

So that’s my first question/comment: is there something not working in my setup that would normally display the playlist in the original unalphabetized order when a playlist is selected?

The 2nd question is just plain ignorance about how to use the “generate playlist” link — if I select a few songs, then hit the playlist link, I get a popup labeled “XSPF Playlist” and a source string. I’m assuming this is so I can cut/paste that string somewhere . . . where/how would I use that?

Thanks much,
mj