Reply To: Can two clients listen to the same stream?

magnate
Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@magnate wrote:

What I’d really like is to be able to listen to the same stream that’s playing downstairs in the living room – is this possible?

That’s really a client issue. It’s been requested a fair bit on the roku forums, but I haven’t seen any evidence it’s in the pipe. Really, it would require client-side support to do right.

Thanks Ron – I suspected as much. I found a lot of discussion about it on the Roku forums, but I won’t hold my breath.

If it doesn’t exist, is it theoretically possible? (I hesistate to introduce myself to a forum and immediately start asking questions about other products, but maybe it’s possible with different server software?)

Slimserver has some ability to do that, but I don’t know how well it works with the soundbridge, etc, etc. I don’t use slim much around here. 🙂

But I understand they have some support for it.

Worth a shot, anyway. Of course, the people who really do it right are Sonos, but unless you have deep pockets…

Indeed. I decided that a thousand percent cost hike was not quite going to give me the RoI I was looking for (£60 for the Roku cf. £600 for the entry-level Sonos …).

I’m not sure I can be bothered to faff around installing SlimServer – I might try it if I ever have a lot of time to kill at home (unlikely), but to be honest mt-daapd works so well it’s not really worth it. The whole two-client thing isn’t a big priority, just a curiosity.

Thanks again,

CC