Reply To: Error: 500general:mp3_dir

rpedde
Participant

@jgoor wrote:

I’m afraid the tone was right (I might regret it, but i’m not going t lie about it), but it was not my intention to offend you.
I assume the word ‘buggy’ did it, since after a re-read I cannot find anything wrong in the post.

It wasn’t the word buggy, as that’s an accurate description. It’s the sense of entitlement that irritated me. And again, I think that comes back to understanding how open source works. I write this for me. For my stuff to work. I make it available to other people to use, and make a best effort to try and make it work with their stuff too, but I expect that if it doesn’t, they dust off the old compiler and make it work themselves. And send those fixes back so everyone else with the same platform as they have can benefit. Or, failing that, if someone doesn’t have the code-fu to fix it themselves, I expect a honey approach, not a vinegar one.

I was just wandering why a distro that “just works” (Ubuntu) has something in it that does not work. I do not blame you, probably just no-one tested it when slamming it into Gutsy.

A few reasons, I’d guess:

1. It’s in universe. There’s no guarantee on stuff in universe, as universe is basically debian sid packages compiled for ubuntu libs. There’s a fair amount in universe that doesn’t work quite right on ubuntu.
2. It’s a snapshot of nightly developer-only builds. The debian maintainers are probably trying to sail a fine line between a stable release and new features. Mostly this is my fault, because I haven’t dropped a stable for a long time. But still, it’s fundamentally an unstable release.
3. This is linux, not windows. Some assembly is required.

Don’t blame me for being a little bit disappointed when my favourite little piece of software does NOT work. (in fact, be proud. most software that do not appear to work, are replaed by some competitor and it doesn’t even bother me to not retry it lateron)

Again, I’m shooting for a total world market of one user, and I don’t have any competitors. I’m not competing with anyone for anything.

You reply suggests that you are the one and only developer. Is that correct?

I get help from time to time. Sometimes someone will pass through with a desire to add some feature, and they’ll work on it with me for a while to get the feature they want, then they’ll disappear. Presumably to listen to music with the feature that they wanted.

I’ve gotten significant help on transcoding, the web config front end, the OSX preference pane, the windows tray icon, and query/browse support for daap.

But yeah, for the most part, it’s just me.

In the mean time, I’ll be waiting patiently for a working .deb file. (I am a deliberate ‘noob’ and I tend to stay that way)

Keep up the good work!

Ahh, see… with this tone, it wouldn’t have been an issue. In fact, I’d likely have paid special attention to getting a nightly for gutsy out.

I probably still will in the next couple days, as it’s not that difficult to add another debian-based nightly to my build environment, but again, the difference (to me) between demanding my free time and asking of my free time is significant.

Not really germane to anything, but interesting:

SLOC Directory SLOC-by-Language (Sorted)
50026 mt-daapd ansic=42302,objc=3522,cpp=2592,perl=943,sh=470,php=101,
python=96
0 src (none)

Totals grouped by language (dominant language first):
ansic: 42302 (84.56%)
objc: 3522 (7.04%)
cpp: 2592 (5.18%)
perl: 943 (1.89%)
sh: 470 (0.94%)
php: 101 (0.20%)
python: 96 (0.19%)

Total Physical Source Lines of Code (SLOC) = 50,026
Development Effort Estimate, Person-Years (Person-Months) = 12.17 (146.00)
(Basic COCOMO model, Person-Months = 2.4 * (KSLOC**1.05))
Schedule Estimate, Years (Months) = 1.38 (16.61)
(Basic COCOMO model, Months = 2.5 * (person-months**0.38))
Total Estimated Cost to Develop = $ 1,643,604
(average salary = $56,286/year, overhead = 2.40).
SLOCCount, Copyright (C) 2001-2004 David A. Wheeler
SLOCCount is Open Source Software/Free Software, licensed under the GNU GPL.
SLOCCount comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, and you are welcome to
redistribute it under certain conditions as specified by the GNU GPL license;
see the documentation for details.
Please credit this data as "generated using David A. Wheeler's 'SLOCCount'."

Clearly the person-years estimate is off a bit. 🙂