Reply To: Stream to a remote iTunes

rpedde
Participant

@Iris wrote:

Thanks Ron.

I have both PuTTy and Rendezvous Proxy – I had the proxy at work configured wrong for one and I’ll fix that tomorrow. And, I have PuTTy but didn’t even think of using that 😳 – so use to using it just for Telnet.

My upload is 916 Kb/s so I think that should be okay – only testing will tell.

I read about opening up port 22 for SSH on my home router – is that still valid? If so, then I imagine the same would need to be done at work?

Anyways, I’m anxious to try this out tomorrow.

Iris 🙂

wrt port 22, that’s correct. The way I have it working (at home) is my router I have configured to port forward from port 22 on the router itself to port 22 on my mt-daapd server. On that machine, I also register an address with dyndns, so I have a “myhouse.dyndns.org” or whatever that I can ssh to, and that connects to the front side of my router, which forwards to the linux machine that runs my mt-daapd server.

If I ssh with -L 3689:localhost:3689, that connects 3689 on my work machine to 3689 on the mt-daapd machine (which is localhost, from the perspective of the machine running the ssh server). If that makes sense.

Oh.. that’s a good point too… you have to have a ssh server in there somewhere as well to connect into. Didn’t think about that. If you are running mt-daapd on a mac or linux box, that’s a good candidate.

— Ron