Reply To: Connecting to Firefly daap server via Ubuntu and Mac

rpedde
Participant

@Tricky wrote:

Here’s my story. Im mainly a Mac person, running an old PowerBook G3 and Intel MacBook Pro on a BT Home Hub via WiFi. My 9 year old son runs his Windows XP box in this bedroom (which I keep away from). I’ve also got a basement full of old Laptops and Desktops running Ubuntu 7.04. I was fed up of filling my MacBook Pro full of music and sharing via itunes, so installed Firefly on the basement PC with a large hard drive, installed Netatalk to give me a afp file protocol for the Macs. I then dumped all my music to this and shared via itunes with the firefly daap service.
I may be going round the houses here but I installed Network Beacon on the Mac’s that let me pick up the firefly stream in itunes. its all good.
Now my issue is with a old Thinkpad running ubuntu and using Rhythmbox via the wifi. It picks up the daap server only when a mac is running Network Beacon. As soon as I turn the Mac off I loose the Stream. What do I need on the Thinkpad to make it pickup the daap service with the Mac being on?

I’m not sure. I’ve heard this a couple times, but I’m not sure what’s going on.

Is the mac wireless, or wired? Or both? (Both, I’m guessing)

And what kind of wirless router do you have?