Reply To: FireFly on DNS-323 and Flac files

rpedde
Participant

@A.E. Neuman wrote:

I’ve had FireFly server running on my Windows Home Server machine serving two SoundBridge M1000s and everything has worked just fine. I’ve ripped all my CDs to flac-files and FireFly (“Roku-version” = svn1359) has AFAIK made a server-side conversion and transcoded .flac music to wav and sent it to the SBs.

Now I wanted to dedicate WHS to pictures, videos, home folders and automatic backups and bought D-Link DNS-323 NAS for music. I’ve managed to install FireFly (v. svn-1498) as a standalone application and get it running but i’ve bumped into a couple of serious problems:

– when I browse music in SB, I can see only the songs but not artists or albums. The song names are strange, for instance like this: x 01 Blues Before Sunrise.flac. In song info all songs have duration of 10:00.0 (!?). When I try to play them, I get message “This music format is not supported” and in mt-daapd.log there in is an error message “(0010d803): Write error: Broken pipe”

– Firefly in DNS-323 (= Linux) doesn’t recognize scandinavian alphabets. In mt-daapd.log file there are error messages like “Invalid UTF-8 in /mnt/HD_a2/Flac/Essi Wuorela/Valo/03 Uusi kevät.flac”.

I’ve tried MP3s and they play just fine and I can browse them normally. I’ve compared mt-daapd.conf files in both FireFlys and I just couldn’t figure out, what’s wrong! Something to do with ssc_prog and ssc_codectypes, I guess but what?

As you can guess, I am a novice in Linux skills.

Sounds like the version you have wasn’t compiled with flac support. You’ll need the libvorbisfile and libflac libraries, and it has to be configure with –enable-flac to be able to read flac metadata.

Not sure where that build came from, but that’s the issue. Did you build it yourself? Could you recompile it with flac support?

— Ron