FireFly Media Server (formerly mt-daapd) › Firefly Media Server Forums › Firefly Media Server › Nightlies Feedback › svn-1652_deb_lenny_armLE compiles but intern. chars problem › Reply To: svn-1652_deb_lenny_armLE compiles but intern. chars problem
Grrrrr. Fu… Unicode.
Now I checked it all and discovered some nasty stuff:
1. I had that slug set to de_DE.UTF-8 a while ago, thats german unicode locale.
2. So far so good. Only I hadn’t noticed that the samba daemon wasnt correctly transcoding between windows (which insists to use UTF16 – stupid Bill Gates) and my box. So some chars were screwed up by this.
3. I now tried for 1h to find a way to get samba to correctly transcode that. Darn. Sure it works somehow but I will be damned if I find out how.
Ok, so I now pulled the plug on unicode and reverted to locale
“de_DE” – no unicode.
Because for this I at least know how to get samba to work correctly:
unicode = yes
display charset = ISO-8859-15
dos charset = 850
unix charset = ISO-8859-15
Now unicode is nuked but at least the transcoding between windows samba debian_lenny_LE works again. One run of my tagging program and the files in my Musik folder look again normal.
Ok, rechecking the mt-daapd problem now WITHOUT unicode.
Heres all errors/warnings I get:
2007-09-06 21:30:43 (40021600): Rescanning database
2007-09-06 21:30:48 (40e654e0): Cannot resolve /usr/share/mt-daapd/admin-root//favicon.ico
2007-09-06 21:30:48 (40e654e0): Thread 18: Entering ws_returnerror (404: Not found)
–> Nothing to do with unicode issues but apparently your missing a file on the website code.
And that is the great thing. No more errors. The new svn can handle “de_DE” encoded filenames. It does “only” bark on messed up unicode filenames, which it also shouldnt but at least we can prevent that by not using unicode.
2007-09-06 22:48:15 (40021600): Starting playlist scan
2007-09-06 22:48:24 (40021600): Updating playlists
2007-09-06 22:48:30 (40021600): Scanned 4151 songs (was 4151) in 1469 seconds
Conclusion: The new svn can handle äöüß if the are coded in de_DE without unicode. If they are in de_DE.utf-8 and something gets messed around with windows/samba then it barks. Still a but but a much less critical one.