Reply To: Can I Run Firefly on a Windows 98 machine?

rpedde
Participant

@Kato wrote:

Ron

It seems that my external hard drive does have a “spin down & stop” utility available from Western Digital. It looks software driven for all Windows platforms.

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=11&swid=17

Based on this I’m assuming that I’ll have to try Method 3, using scsi-idle once I get my slug?

Again – anyone successful in spinning down one of these WD800B008 series drives?

Thanks, and sorry for all of the questions. This is very new to me.

Once I get the slug and start preparation I will start a new thread.

Please be nice … 😥

I’ve had okay luck with tool to set hard drive settings while attached to a windows/dos machine, then putting it back in the usb carrier and attaching it. Once they are set on the windows side, the settings persist and work okay on the linux side. Or so my experience with ibm/hitachi drives.

As far as accessing ext3 from XP, typically you leave the drive attached ot the slug and access the files from across the network, which makes the underlying file system invisible to xp.

If you were to disconnect the drive and attach it to XP, you’d find you couldn’t access the file system unless you loaded ext3 drivers. I think there are probably several different drivers poking around on the net.

But I’ve never removed the drive from any of mine — I access all the data remotely.

— Ron