Reply To: Album Artist vs. Artist?

rpedde
Participant

@djp952 wrote:

Just a quick update …

I was kinda bored so I wrote a quick little app to replace all my “Author” tags with the “WM/AlbumArtist” tags (yes, Windows guy here) for everything except my “Various Artists” and “Soundtrack” albums. The result was exactly as expected, and ideal for my situtation. Granted, my author tags are gone, but I’m driving Firefly from a mirror anyway 🙂

It got me thinking … would it be easier for you to provide customization of what tags get used from the files to populate the database rather than give a general catch-all that would only satisfy some folks? For example, if in the Advanced Config I could dictate that “WM/AlbumArtist” be used instead of the default “Author” to populate the SONGS.ARTIST data, that would be that (at least for me). Of course you run into some stickiness with the Compilations, as they could/should be treated differently. In my particular case, I actually DO want “Author” to be used for the Compilations.

Since the default is what most folks are probably looking for anyway, perhaps this could be something that can be added into the FireFly configuration file(s) rather than making it a UI item.

Anyway, I’m good .. extremely happy in fact. Replacing “Author” on the mirror was something I wanted to do anyway since my Sansa has the same habit of not providing an album-centric implementation option.

Ya, that’s going to be exposed in a scripting-plugin. A “db add” event will be posted to a script before it gets inserted into the database to allow scripts to munge the tag data before it goes in the db.

I anticipate using ruby, as that seems to be the easiest (besides lua) to integrated into C.

Plus, writing c extensions for ruby is fun. 🙂