Reply To: Debian Etch and 1586

Anonymous
Inactive

I get the same error, while avahi daemon is running:

[~]$ sudo service mt-daapd start
Starting DAAP servermt-daapd: client.c:776: avahi_client_errno: Assertion `client' failed.
/bin/bash: line 1: 5290 Aborted /usr/sbin/mt-daapd
[FAILED]
[~]$ sudo service avahi-daemon status
Avahi daemon is running

But then, I do get errors if I try to restart avahi:

[tim@servy ~]$ sudo service avahi-daemon restart
Shutting down Avahi daemon: [ OK ]
Starting Avahi daemon... [FAILED]

/var/log/messages indicates something about what happened:

avahi-daemon[5423]: Found user 'avahi' (UID 498) and group 'avahi' (GID 494).
avahi-daemon[5423]: Successfully dropped root privileges.
avahi-daemon[5423]: avahi-daemon 0.6.22 starting up.
avahi-daemon[5423]: WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!
avahi-daemon[5423]: dbus_bus_get_private(): An SELinux policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.DBus" member "Hello" error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.DBus")
avahi-daemon[5423]: WARNING: Failed to contact D-Bus daemon.

But I’m not sure how to proceed. SELinux has been in permissive mode the whole time and I thought that would be enough. Any ideas?

BTW, Mt-daapd runs fine from command line (with or without -f option), but when I start as a service I always get the avahi error and mt-daapd aborts.

Mt-daapd used to daemonize just fine but I recently upgraded from Fedora Core 8 to FC10. I haven’t been using the daapd server for a while, and it turned out I had a corrupt db. I just ran mt-daapd from command line with max logging -d 9 and watched it rebuild the db, then successfully tested the web server and connection/streaming from an iTunes client. Now I just need to get it to start as a service again…

Any ideas? Thanks!