Reply To: Firefly now running on unmodifed Linkstation Live/Pro

bobinchicago
Participant

@cezza wrote:

I’ve been playing with the Firefly package that’s detailed in the howto, and determ¡ned that /etc/init.d/firefly doesn’t support the restart parameter. This can be fixed by editing /etc/init.d/firefly and changing this:

restart)
stop
start
;;

To this:

restart)
$0 stop
$0 start
;;

I guess for convention’s sake /etc/init.d/firefly should be renamed /etc/init.d/firefly.sh…

Also, having looked at one of Kaiten’s posts elsewhere (and assuming the above edit has been made and that /etc/init.d/firefly has been renamed /etc/init.d/firefly.sh), I’ve determ¡ned that you can set daemonwatcher to automatically restart Firefly it it’s stopped running by adding the following to /etc/daemonwatch.list:

/var/run/mt-daapd.pid           /etc/init.d/firefly.sh restart

I know this isn’t literally a fix for the Bonjour bug in 1586, but would it have that effect of ensuring that the server’s running and visible? I’ve had to shut down my Linkstation Live with Firefly and go back to iTunes after too many mornings of the SoundBridge Radio’s generic alarm beep. I’d love to switch back to the NAS.

Assuming that’s the case, I’m enough of a rookie to want to make sure I have the steps correct going in:

1. Ensure that I have telnet access by

java -jar acp_commander.jar -t  -o

2. Once I’ve ensured that, telnet in and

vi /etc/init.d/firefly

3. Move to the section detailed here starting with the

restart)

line and make the indicated $0 changes to the two lines and save the changes.

4. Rename the file as mentioned.

mv /etc/init.d/firefly /etc/init.d/firefly.sh

5. Edit /etc/daemonwatch.list:

vi /etc/daemonwatch.list

6. Anywhere within daemonwatch.list, add the line at the end of the quoted post:

/var/run/mt-daapd.pid           /etc/init.d/firefly.sh restart

… and just to cover my newbie butt, that last line of code really goes on one line, right?

If I’ve left anything out, forgotten to consider anything, please feel free to steer me with A’s, B’s, .3 and .6’s, or whatever else seems appropriate. 8) Thanks! (And thanks very much to bawbagg, Kaiten, of course rpedde, and everyone who put this together!)