Reply To: Firefly for Mac and a big iTunes Library (300GB)

rpedde
Participant

@eldino wrote:

Hi there,
I got the Mac version of Firefly from Rokulabs page and I decided to test it on my main, big library (300GB, mostly mp3s, 45000+ tracks), that resides on a nice, dedicated, HFS+ formatted, Firewire400, 500GB external drive.

My only Mac is my iBook G4 1,33 512MB (the last one before Macbooks birth) . I installed Firefly and I gave it the music folder residing on the external hard drive, then It started scanning.. after an hour my laptop was blocked.. I started (after maaaany minutes) the System Monitor and WOW.. “Firefly takes 1,67Gb of virtual memory (swap!) and 300mb of real memory! I tried to kill the server and restart it several times and after some days of tests I decided to post my experience here..

It depends by my hardware or my library is too big?
Anybody had similar experience?
Since I have many projects in mind regarding Firefly, DAAP and Creative Commons music, I’d like to know if it’s capable to manage big libraries with my or older hardware.
Ah it seems that the Songs.db file stops growing up at 49 MB (ca 32000 songs)..

My point is: if a crappy NAS (with a small MIPS cpu in it) can handle mp-daapd and hundreds of GBs of music, why can’t I do it with a real CPU?

I’m gonna install md-daapd on my linux laptop (that is old than my Mac) and try to do the trick with that.. could I get advantages of this in terms of speed?

Thanx for replies

Try nightlies at http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org. Specifically, I’d look at the nightly version 1489. I think there may have been some memory leaks in the xml parser, depending on what roku version you have.

But it ought to scale okay, so I think it’s probably a version-dependent bug.

See where 1489 gets you. I think it should work okay for you. There are some folks at some universities that are serving terabyte scale libraries with it (live performance stuff from college of music), so I know it scales that high.

— Ron