Reply To: Why Won’t mt-daapd Work Unless It’s Open to the Internet?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Why Won’t mt-daapd Work Unless It’s Open to the Internet? Reply To: Why Won’t mt-daapd Work Unless It’s Open to the Internet?

Linux User
Participant

Thanks Ron and fizze.

I tried adding the following rules (separately, in the pairs shown), but none of them worked:

iptables -A INPUT -s 224.0.0.0/4 -d 127.0.0.1 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -s 127.0.0.1 -d 224.0.0.0/4 -j ACCEPT

iptables -A INPUT -s 224.0.0.0/4 -d 192.168.1.0/24 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 224.0.0.0/4 -j ACCEPT

iptables -A INPUT -s 224.0.0.0/4 -d 224.0.0.0/4 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -s 224.0.0.0/4 -d 224.0.0.0/4 -j ACCEPT

So, then I tried the following, which allows multi/unicast packets specifically, but without restriction as to source or destination addresses:

iptables -A INPUT -m pkttype --pkt-type multicast -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -m pkttype --pkt-type multicast -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -m pkttype --pkt-type unicast -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -m pkttype --pkt-type unicast -j ACCEPT

Now THAT worked. But it allows sending and receiving multi/unicasts to the public internet doesn’t it? Am I advertising my music library to the public internet? ‘Cause I don’t want to be doing that.

Why does firefly have to be able to multi/unicasts without limit on source or destination? What it is about firefly and/or multi/unicasting that I don’t get?

Ron, I’m new to firefly and the SoundBridge, so forgive my ignorance, but I just saw over on the Roku forums that you’re the author of firefly. Let me just say what a cool app it is. Setting up a central server to serve my music files to various places in my house has been on my project list for a long time, and firefly plus the SoundBridge is a pretty slick solution.

Thanks.