Reply To: Firefly server no longer appears in iTunes

rpedde
Participant

@mattyt wrote:

Hello folks,

I’ve got a back-end server running Ubuntu Feisty and an Intel MacBook front-end running OSX 10.4.9.

Until recently I’ve been in a happy place with Firefly successfully hosting a bunch of mp3’s – the server appeared in iTunes constantly and I was able to play any of the files without a hitch.

But not anymore. The damn server no longer shows up in iTunes.

There are two obvious things that have changed. I upgraded iTunes recently to 7.2 and I upgraded Firefly to 1376 (listed as 0.2.4+r1376-2 in package manager) which is the latest Ubuntu package version (a long way behind the nightlies, I know).

I had to modify the configuration file but nothing terribly challenging (I’m not sure what version of Firefly I was running in the past but the database parameters had changed – sqlite[3] had to be specified etc).

Now Firefly seems to run fine, the admin page is accessible (and looks much better, nice work guys!) but the server doesn’t appear in iTunes. I’ve disabled all firewalls and searched the forums for help but haven’t found anything obvious. iTunes has the appropriate checkboxes ticked to allow the server to appear (General->Radio and Sharing->Look for shared libraries).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Matt

PS Here is the startup output (oh, and the Avahi daemon is running too):

Starting with debuglevel 2
Starting rendezvous daemon
*** WARNING *** The programme ‘mt-daapd’ uses the HOWL compatiblity layer of Avahi.
*** WARNING *** Please fix your application to use the native API of Avahi!
*** WARNING *** For more information see
Starting signal handler
Signal handler started
Initializing database
Starting web server from /usr/share/mt-daapd/admin-root on port 3689
Registering rendezvous names
Serving 61 songs. Startup complete in 0 seconds

See, I’ve heard this on feisty from several people… Is this a real feisty package, or is it an edgy package from universe?

I can’t figure it because it runs fine on my feisty box, although I’m compiling it from source.

Is avahi-daemon running? (ps auxw | grep -i “avahi”)

Oh!

Did you try a package from the nightlies page (http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org), because that’s compiled for feisty rather than from universe.

Also…

http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=5999

That has some info that might be relevant.