Reply To: mt-daapd on Ubuntu and iTunes on Vista does not connect

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues mt-daapd on Ubuntu and iTunes on Vista does not connect Reply To: mt-daapd on Ubuntu and iTunes on Vista does not connect

Brago
Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Stop mt-daapd. Edit /etc/default/avahi-daemon, and edit the line to allow it to start up. Don’t really remember what it says or what it’s called, but there is a line in there that stops avahi from running.

Then start up avahi-daemon with “/etc/init.d/avahi-daemon start”, then start up mt-daapd.

It should pop up then.

— Ron

Hi,
My /etc/default/avahi-daemon says:

# 0 = don’t start, 1 = start
AVAHI_DAEMON_START=1

so it seems alright. I tried instead to start as you said and the following happend:

stefan@server:/$ sudo /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon start
Password:
* Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: avahi-daemon
* avahi-daemon disabled because there is a unicast .local domain
stefan@server:/$

I searched for the error message and on http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-425379.html I was suggested to:

stefan@server:/$ sudo rm /var/run/avahi-daemon/disabled-for-unicast-local
stefan@server:/$ sudo /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon start
* Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: avahi-daemon [ OK ]

Avahi is aparantly up and running so I did:

stefan@server:/$ sudo mt-daapd start

But still iTunes does not show anything. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the shared library should show up on the left hand side in iTunes under a new heading called “Shared”? (I’m using Swedish version of iTunes so forgive me if the terminology is slightly other in English). But what I mean is that I was expecting this shared library to show up under or over my own library, play lists, iTunes store etc.

/Stefan