Reply To: Is Firefly what I’m Looking for?

rpedde
Participant

@jakeh wrote:

(a) stream from the server as a “shared” library [not my preffered option] both at home over ethernet but also on the road

That’s really what this is — it’s like sharing iTunes without the iTunes, so it’s subject to the same limitations… it can’t edit metadata remotly (just like you can’t edit metadata from a remote iTunes server), etc.

(b) [my preffered] pick and choose “a la carte” songs/videos to pull down from the media server

I don’t really have this right now. I want to have a web front-end that will allow http streaming and playlist building, but it’s not there yet, and is behind other objectives.

but I also would like the clients to push any purchased/added music to the server

That’s moderatly possible, but requires a fair amount of hackery — moving the iTunes share off to the server, so it can index it, or syncing locale filesystems to the server, etc. Not really as seamless as you might like.

The reason I’d like the clients to have local copies is so I can sync my ipod. But maybe that’s impossible.

Can I do this with Firefly? Any suggestions/help? Thanks in advance…

It might be that a web-based solution might fit better. NetJuke for a while was talking about a daap front-end, but I’m not sure where they are with it. XMMS2 was also talking about a daap front-end, and that might be pretty promising as well.

Hope this helps.

— Ron