Reply To: Firefly disappears when multiple iTunes/macs are used

rpedde
Participant

@cydbjr wrote:

Hi,
I have mt-daapd-svn-1586 running on a FC 4 box. iTunes (on mac) connects to it from machine A across the network (mix of hubs and PlugLink boxes), and all is fine.
When I start iTunes on machine B, C, D or E, all being macs located on different PlugLink nodes, the mt-daapd is “most of the time” not discovered. Further more, iTunes on machine A stops rendering music and looses also the server from its shared music.
If I stop/restart mt-daapd, then it appears on all iTunes currently running. I can play music on all machines, there doesn’t seem to be problem anymore.
But if I start yet another instance of iTunes on another machine, the problem occurs again, on all machines that are currently reaching mt-daapd.
I’m running iTunes 7 on all the macs (4 with 10.4, one with 10.3).
I do have an airport extreme, an airport express, and a Linksys BEFVP41 V2 also on the LAN, but none of the macs go “through” these nodes to reach the mt-daapd. I have disabled the “filter multicast” feature on the BEFVP41, but I think it is related to the firewall from wan to lan.
I have had the same problem with mt-daapd 0.2.4.
There is no firewall rule on the FC4 box.
I have run mt-daapd with -d 9, and see lots of “processing rendezvous message” in the log; yet nothing that looks like an error message or complaint.
When I enable the “share my music” on iTunes, all macs see all other iTunes instance.
Just for the kick, I’ve also started mt-daapd with -m, and then configured mDNSResponder to publish the service; the same problem shows up.
Finally, the problem doesn’t occur every time I start a new instance of iTunes, but pretty much every time. I haven’t figured out a pattern (the macs are all around the house, it’s not easy to do many experiments!).
And unfortunately I didn’t forget to stop mDNSResponder (I just read a post that mentions that and thought it was also my problem, but alas…) 8-(

So in one word: help!

That’s one of two things:

1. a firewall issue. I think you’ll also find that if you stop the server, then start it, it instantly appears in all the iTunes on the network.

Then if you let it sit for a half hour or so, or wait 15 minutes and start a new iTunes, then it dissappears.

That’s a symptom of having a firewall on the server box that allows outbound traffic, but is blocking inbound traffic from 224.0.0.251 on port 5353 udp.

2. Another cause could be something else binding to port 5353. avahi-daemon, or mDNSResponder are likely culprits, but you mentioned stopping mDNSResponder. Check for avahi-daemon.

— Ron

If you watch the log files, I think you’ll see that it never receives any queries