Reply To: Smart playlists should support multiple identical tags

rpedde
Participant

@beerfan wrote:

Some metadata types (e.g., ID3, I haven’t researched others) support multiple tags of the same type. For example, I could place multiple genre or grouping (contentgroup) tags in the same song.

The problem is that most clients don’t process multiple tags but Firefly could offer a workaround to this if it supported it. I would like to create a smart playlist, for example, like the following.

grouping = "live" AND grouping = "acoustic"

I have songs with these multiple tags but such a smart playlist doesn’t find any songs based on that criteria.

PLEASE, consider supporting this.

At the very least, I would like multiple tag support for the genre (sometimes songs are hard to categorize and/or are classified into multiple genres by different groups) and grouping tags.

I *have* to support it in some fashion anyway. All mine are tagged like:

Electronica/Trance
Synth/Synth Pop

With multiple tags. So yeah, I want to do this. It’s just that means a db reorg, and I’ve been resistant to start it as I know it’s a huge project. I’m almost done with the last huge project I had before that — abstracting file and socket access so I can have uris for things like tracks within iso images and stuff. (iso://path/to/file.iso/1, for example)

In any case, I expect to start work on it soon, although I’ve been expecting to start work on it soon for quite a while. 😉

The “top n”, and “order by” playlist enhancements drop out of that work, too.

— Ron