Reply To: mt-daapd advice on a new/dev distro for NAS devices…

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues mt-daapd advice on a new/dev distro for NAS devices… Reply To: mt-daapd advice on a new/dev distro for NAS devices…

rpedde
Participant

@davy_gravy wrote:

1. the distro comes w/ 0.2.3 r0.
-are there any advantages to having 0.2.3 installed instead of 0.2.4?
-does this version have any bugs, such as a problem w/ the mt-daapd.conf file being completely overwritten when changed via the web browser interface?

0.2.3 versus 0.2.4 was an iTunes 6 interop issue. I don’t think 0.2.3 works with iTunes > 6.0.

Yes, the config file gets completely re-written when saving from web interface. Comments get wiped, etc.

Another potential showstopper for 0.2.x vs. nightlies is that 0.2.x won’t allow multiple mp3 directories, and won’t allow the library to be on more than one physical device (indexed by inode — dumb design, I know).

Another *another* potiential gotcha with 0.2.x is lack of support for ogg/flac and transcoding.

If I were to recommend something right now, it would probably be svn-1489.

Are Avahi & the mdns already in mt-daapd 0.2.3 having some sort of conflict taht is causing this? Ideas on how to make the 2 of them “play nice together”?

Ya, they don’t work well together. The definitely step on each other. To make it work, you would want to run mt-daad with “-m” to turn off the built-in multicast daemon, and then add a static config entry in the avahi config to advertise mt-daapd.

Or, if looking at nightlies (recommended!) then you could compile either to the howl compat libraries for avahi, or avahi native if using a new enough revision (r1448 or later).

3. If I were to suggest to the developer to use a nightly, I would need some sort of an idea of dependencies, so the correct companion packages could be built.

libid3tag, libsqlite (either 2.8.x or 3.3.7 or better), zlib.

Optionally:

libogg (ogg metadata reading)
vorbis-tools (for transcoding ogg)
libflac (flac metadata reading)
flac (for transcoding flac)

-what are the requirements of 0.2.4?

libid3tag, zlib, gdbm

Humble thanks and gratitude,

np. Yell if you need more info or any advice. Good luck.

— Ron