Reply To: Migrating iTunes playlists

mpuckett
Participant

@rpedde wrote:

The path stuff it should find on its own, so long as:

1. The file names are stored as UTF-8 on the hard drive. This should be the default if you are using samba 3 or better (which I imagine you are).

2. The file system is a mirror of the existing layout.

Once you have that, put the “iTunes Music Library.xml” file in the directory directly above the music. So, for example, if you have a layout like:

Music
+- Ministry
+- The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste
+- Metallica
+- Motorhead

then the “Music” folder is a good place to put it, as it is above all the music. Don’t put it off to the side or anything, but it right above all the music, but still inside the music directory.

It searches from the point of the playlist down.

So if your file path was:

c:someplace elsemusicministrythe mind is a terrible thing to taste1 – thieves.mp3

And you put the xml file in the Music share on your server (which might correspond to /mnt/mp3/music, then the server will try:

/mnt/mp3/music/01 – thieves.mp3
and
/mnt/mp3/music/the mind is a terrible thing to taste/01 – thieves.mp3
and
/mnt/mp3/music/ministry/the mind is a terrible thing to taste/01 – thieves.mp3

and finally find it. See, it keeps walking backwards on the “old” path (converting slashes) and looks for that under the directory where the xml file is.

So it tries pretty hard to find it.

So that’s the long explanation.

🙂

— Ron

Ron,

Ok, a couple of points then…. 1. I am not sharing this particular filesystem with Samba. This is a journaled ext3 filesystem if that makes any difference. 2. So the pathname is a backwalking algorithm then? There will be a point in the Library which will be replicated as I copy the files over as things are stored in Artist/Album/Songs I believe but the mount points will most certainly be very different. 3. What about the smart playlists? Must those be manually recreated?

-mikep