Reply To: Install latest nightly on Linkstation Running Debian

rpedde
Participant

@snevacd wrote:

Hi,

I’ve been running the standard Debian package on my linkstation for a while now- I wanted to upgrade it to the newest nightlies. (The packaged version is svn1376.)

As a longtime Redhat user, I’m a bit unclear on whole debian apt-get system- can I use the latest nightly package (even though I’m running Etch on an arm processor, and the only nightly for arm is for Sarge)?

I tried hacking my way through the tarball, but gave up after a couple of hours trying to get it to work..

d.

You’ll end up compiling from source. First, make sure you ahve all the dev tools. Not sure what consititues the minimal set, but I usually fetch something like:

foo@bar:~$ apt-get install gdb make libc6-dev automake autotools-dev automake1.4

Then, the dev libs:

foo@bar:~/mt-daapd-svn-1571$ apt-get install libid3tag0-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libsqlite0-dev libavahi-client-dev
foo@bar:~/mt-daapd-svn-1571$ apt-get install
foo@bar:~/mt-daapd-svn-1571$ ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-sqlite --enable-avahi --enable-oggvorbis

… and a make; make install. You’ll need to copy the mt-daapd.conf from contrib to /etc and edit to taste, but I think that will get you going.

Alternately, if you want to make a debian package:

foo@bar:~/mt-daapd-svn-1571$ svn co https://svn.fireflymediaserver.org/svn/firefly-build/trunk/debian
foo@bar:~/mt-daapd-svn-1571$ mv debian/control.etch debian/control
foo@bar:~/mt-daapd-svn-1571$ fakeroot debian/rules binary

That will drop a packacke in the directory above the source directory.

You’ll probably need at least the debhelper and fakeroot packages to build the pakcage though.