Reply To: DAAP or UPnP?

Ted Harper
Participant

@MrE wrote:

I’ll have a go at running both Firefly and Twonky or some other UPnP server on the Slug and see how it handles it.

On my NSLU2 I run both Firefly (latest nightly) and Twonkyvision (a couple of releases old – their install/upgrade doesn’t go very smoothly on my box). Both look at the same library of about 6000 tracks. I have both Firefly and Twonky set for manual rescanning of the library, as I don’t buy new CDs or edit tags more than maybe once a week, and I didn’t want them to trip over eachother. My NSLU2 is not de-underclocked and it works fine.

BTW I would be very keen if a UPNP AV plugin appeared for Firefly (and I would happily test this for Ron also, especially if it were possible for it to run alongside the Twonkyvision UPNP – to avoid risk/annoyance for my wife and kids who have a lower tolerance of things getting broken/different), as I would like fewer moving parts running on the NSLU2 rather than more.

Twonkyvision is pretty inexpensive to buy (relative to the time you spend mucking around setting things up and tweaking settings and so on), so even if you tried it and bought it as an interim measure before Firefly’s UPNP support appeared and matured to “production quality” I think it would still be worthwhile for you if you need UPNP AV serving right now from your NSLU2.

ted.h.