Reply To: serving files off an smb share

rpedde
Participant

@josejuan05 wrote:

I have sort of a random sounding setup that I’m going for, and I’m having problems getting it to work.

I am currently running (on one machine) Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy) with firefly SVN 1528. That machine has an SMB share from another computer mounted at /music. I do this because at my university the two computers are separated into separate VLANs and so while they can see eachother over SMB they can’t over DAAP (probably because they aren’t on the same subnet).

Anyways, I haven’t been able to get mt-daapd to find any files when it scans the directory on the SMB mount. I noticed in the mt-daapd.conf file that it said the cache and the music folder had to be on the same node, but I didn’t exactly know that meant. I also read that the separate nodes thing had been fixed.

Does anyone else know if this works/should work?

Yes. The inode thing can be disregarded, it’s been fixed for some time.

The likely cause is that the user it runs as (nobody, by default) doesn’t have permissions to those files. You might try running it as the user you use to make the connection, or (if you can), make those directories and files world readable.

— Ron