using multiple encodings

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jgoor
    Participant

Hi all,

At home I use my FireFly server streaming my flac collection for highest quality.
    At work I can get to my FireFly server but the performance is poor due to linecapacity. I therefore want my FireFly to stream my flac collection in mp3 format. So.. I need some sort of ‘on the fly’ encoding which I can address by eg. picking another portnumber.

Now.. perhaps this is native functionality but I really don’t know how to get to that.

Is there a solution to this?

Please help..

Regards,
    John

stretch
    Participant

Simplest option that comes to mind is to run two instances of Firefly on different ports.
    one would access the flac library, the other the MP3 library.

There are posts covering this already. Use google to search this site for multiple instances of firefly.

EVILRipper
    Participant

I agree with stretch. I am not aware of reaching firefly diferently so that it does or does not transcode files in another way.

jgoor
    Participant

To be clear, a UseCase:

1. I connect to port A and select from database X music which come in flac quality
    2. Accordingly I I connect to port B and select from database X (the same database as in ‘1’) that very same music coming from flac files which come in mp3 quality?

(note: I don not want to maintain multiple databases)

So.. the only thing that is different is the portnumber that determines the quality/format that I can acquire?

Correct? (Google did not get me much answers BTW)

Regards,
    John

EVILRipper
    Participant

As I replied earlier, Firefly is not designed to be reached from 2 ports.
    Therefore, the easiest solution for your problem is running 2 independent instances of firefly. (This forum has several posts explaining how)
    You can have these 2 firefly’s run on different ports, and configure them as you like.

stretch
    Participant

enter this in Google search

multiple instances site:forums.fireflymediaserver.org

One of the results is this
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7454

jgoor
    Participant

I did it.

FYI:

I have a flac collection on port 3689 for in-house usage
    Accordingly I have a mp3fs running, presenting the flac collection as a virtual mp3 collection. Therefore I do not need to store multiple formats of the same music.
    Finally, I have a second mt-daapd instance, with minor configuration tweaks running. This works like a charm!

Thanx all!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.