Playlists? or am I missing something

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi

I am a newbie! Just bought a Netgear ReadyNAS Pro which had Firefly pre-installed. Really impressed so far with it!

I have my itunes talking to it, all music is in there etc and its working!

However if I want to create playlists it wont let me drag the song from the remote server > local playlist? I have read on the forums that you cannot do this? but people are creating playlists on the server? Does this mean you have had to do all the work locally on your Mac and then copy the music / playlists back onto netgear or am I missing something? Seems a major flaw if this is the case. Part of my problem is that I have a massive music collection with no playlists. Its something I wanted to do, but felt it easier to keep all music on NAS and then start to crate some cool playlist.

Also, anyway to make Frontrow see the shared server?

Thanks

stretch
    Participant

@punderwood75 wrote:

it wont let me drag the song from the remote server > local playlist?

This is an iTunes limitation.
    iTunes is assuming that someone else owns the music.

Try using the java Firefly client, unlike iTunes, it can create playlists using music on the server.
    It also inserts playlists directly into Firefly’s database so you don’t have to import anything.
    The only limitation with the java client is it can’t play aac music files

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is the second thread I’ve read about the java client, yet when I use it you can’t manipulate server playlists. You can’t even create your own, or drag songs, or even right click on them.

Is there something I’m missing? I’m using 0.9b

stretch
    Participant

With the java client running, select File > New Playlist & give it a name
    You can then drag music files from the list of songs in the library onto the playlist name in the side bar.
    If you want to delete songs in the playlist, select the playlist, select the song & press the delete key

You can’t edit smartplaylists

Anonymous
    Inactive

@punderwood75 wrote:

Hi

I am a newbie! Just bought a Netgear ReadyNAS Pro which had Firefly pre-installed. Really impressed so far with it!

I’m in the same boat. Just got my new ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition up and running (love it, by the way). I’m storing all my music on the ReadyNAS and running Firefly so I don’t have to have my desktop or notebook up and running iTunes all the time.

The only thing missing is playlists. Can I create playlists somewhere else (iTunes, Songbird, etc.) and import them to the library on my NAS and have Firefly see them and be able to use them?

Thanks in advance.

stretch
    Participant

The ReadyNAS is set to process iTunes library .xml files by default.
    You simply have to copy the .xml file into the mediaMusic directory & run a scan.

If you prefer to use m3u playlists then you will have to go into the advanced configuration section and enable “process m3u playlists”.
    After that it’s the same as for iTunes library files

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, stretch. I don’t have a strong preference for xml versus m3u so it’s nice to know both are available.

But if I copy my iTunes xml file to the Media/Music folder, won’t the playlists still point to the original location of the music? For example, if they’re created on my desktop from music stored locally on that machine then I copy the xml file to the NAS, won’t the playlists still point the file locations on the desktop?

It seems like I would need to recreate the playlists in iTunes using the Media/Music folder as the source before copying the xml file to the NAS. Or am I making this too difficult?

stretch
    Participant

If the directory structure from the location of the location of the playlist file to the music files is the same then Firefly will resolve the paths.

e.g. if the path to your music on the PC is c:Documents and Settingsuser nameMy documentsMy MusicArtistalbummusic file.whatever
    and the path on the ReadyNAS is c:MediaMusicArtistalbummusic file.whatever
    You simply place the playlist file in the Music directory. The structure below that level is the same for both locations & Firefly is able to resolve the path.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.