ogg over OpenVPN tunnels

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,
    The butter: Streaming ogg over OpenVPN tunnels requires 200KBps+ while using SMB requires 50-100KBps

The milk:
    My computers at work have a bridged tunnel (using OpenVPN) to my home network, which is where my mt-daapd is hosted. Mt-daapd has no problem with streaming media to my work computers. But when I try to stream ogg files, I simply run out of bandwidth. I tried both Rythmbox and iTunes and they play two seconds of the song and then buffer for 10 seconds 🙁
    So I tried to open the file (over the bridge tunnel) using smb and that worked flawlessly with as little as 40KBps bandwidth usage.

Sense the problem is only happening with ogg, I think it has something to do with how Firefly converts ogg to WAV.

fyi, I used the highest level of compression available in OpenVPN.

First question:
    1- How can I turn off the internal conversion to WAV? I want everything to be streamed as is.
    2- How can I fix the problem without turning off the internal conversion to WAV?

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, I figured out how to stop the conversion to wav:
    never_transcode = ogg

It was right in my face and didn’t see it. 😳

Now, why is this happening? How can I fix it? Itunes can’t play ogg files after all…… so I have to convert to WAV sooner or later

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.