MSS+ svn-1433 can’t read iTunes 7.5 playlists???

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues MSS+ svn-1433 can’t read iTunes 7.5 playlists???

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    schro20
    Participant

I recently redid all my playlists in iTunes (7.5.0.20 on XP with the xml file and all the m4a files kept on the external MSS+ drive; I then run Firefly independently on the MSS+ drive with svn-1433). My clients (Roku) see only the old playlists (where is this stuff cached?) and none of the new ones. I checked the scan log and found: “Error parsing playlist: Offset 1: Expecting field name” and then a playlist number which I cannot correlate with anything I find in the “iTunes Music Library.xml” file.

1) where do I go to have Firefly forget about the old lists?
    2) why am I having a hard time scanning the lists that are in the xml file? Is there some compatibility issue between 7.5 and svn-1433? One thing that is new is that I used iTunes to make directories of playlists. Does Firefly have a hard time with such directory structures?

How do I dig deeper here?

Peter

stretch
    Participant

Have you run a “Full Scan”?
    You initiate a full scan via Firefly’s web interface.

The playlist files need to be in the path to the music files, they can’t be in a separate dead end directory off to the side somewhere

schro20
    Participant

@stretch wrote:

Have you run a “Full Scan”?
    You initiate a full scan via Firefly’s web interface.

The playlist files need to be in the path to the music files, they can’t be in a separate dead end directory off to the side somewhere

I’ve done the usual reboot, rescan, repeat procedure to no effect. I do not have separate playlist files. Everything is in the iTunes Library.xml file. I have not changed my setup (though I may have upgraded iTunes at some point). Basically I hadn’t done any changes to my playlists for a very long time, so this may be something that broke long time ago (though it clearly once worked) and I only realized this now that I actually did new playlists and then find out they don’t show…

What I don’t understand is why I still see the old ones. Where are they cached? When looking at the Firefly web interface all the old ones are listed under “smart playlists” with an indication that they were scanned from the iTunes xml file.

My setup is as follows: I run iTunes on my desktop under XP with the maxtor as a windows share. iTunes is configured to use that share point to put both the library itself as well as the xml file on that drive. Firefly is then configured to look in that root directory locally (since Firefly runs on the MSS+ it sees this locally). None of this has changed.

Is it known that Firefly in svn-1433 can deal with hierarchical playlists (directories with subdirectories that are playlists)? My first thinking was that maybe that’s what makes the Firefly parser choke now when it used to work fine before…

I’ll run the error log at a higher level, maybe it will reveal more that way.

peter

stretch
    Participant

@schro20 wrote:

iTunes is configured to use that share point to put both the library itself as well as the xml file on that drive.

How did you achieve this?
    I’ve never seen an option in iTunes to modify where it stores it’s library file.

Can you check your “My MusiciTunes” directory to see if the date/time stamp on the library file matches the one on the MSS+

schro20
    Participant

@stretch wrote:

@schro20 wrote:

iTunes is configured to use that share point to put both the library itself as well as the xml file on that drive.

How did you achieve this?
    I’ve never seen an option in iTunes to modify where it stores it’s library file.

Can you check your “My MusiciTunes” directory to see if the date/time stamp on the library file matches the one on the MSS+

Ah, oh.

There was an itunes library file in my mount point directory, but indeed it is an old one. You are right, the actual current one sits in “My Music.” Wow. I never noticed that until just recently. I guess because I so far have only used the search interface in Roku and that works just fine with the database on the Firefly server and doesn’t use any iTunes facilities…

Thank you for making me look in the obvious place! (When I had selected the iTunes directory in Properties->Advanced->General I had simply assumed the xml file goes there as well [and saw an xml file there, but it was an old one; can’t remember anymore when I put it there…])

Peter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.